Claiming Against Foreign Motorists

What should you do if you have road traffic accidents involving a foreign-registered vehicle? What is the process of claiming against the foreign-registered vehicle?

You are required to make a Traffic Police report as soon as possible or within 24 hours of the accident involving a foreign-registered vehicle. A written report can be made at any police station or Neighbourhood Police Post.

If you have a comprehensive motor insurance policy, you are advised to claim against your own policy in instances of accidents with foreign motorists either in Singapore or Malaysia. This will save you the inconvenience of making a claim against motorists from another country.

But if you wish to make a third-party motor claim against an insurer in Malaysia, you are advised to approach the insurer in Malaysia, and submit to the concerned insurer in Malaysia the following documents:

  • Claimant’s vehicle registration card (photocopy);
  • Certificate of Insurance, cover note or policy schedule (photocopy);
  • Identity card (photocopy);
  • Police report;
  • A police sketch plan and key (if available);
  • Result of police investigation (if available); and
  • Proof of losses incurred.
  • Additional documents that may need to be submitted include an adjuster’s report with original photographs, a repair bill and proof of payment, a rental-car bill (if a car was rented), as well as proof of payment and bills and receipt for other expenses incurred.

If your claim against the motorist in Malaysia is unsuccessful after all means have been exhausted, you can approach the GIA’s Malaysian counterpart, Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM) for assistance (with all evidence produced).

Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM)
Phone: 03-2274 7399


Does the claims process take longer when the other vehicle involved is foreign registered?

The claims process may take longer if you decide to claim against the insurer of the Malaysian motorist, given that you are claiming against an insurer from another jurisdiction.